March 4, 2013 by Daniela Salvador
I’m sure upon hearing the word lasagne you are thinking; hold up how are you going to avoid putting processed flour in the béchamel or pasta?
This particular recipe does not have pasta, it is really is one of those things that as humans we can in fact live without. So pasta is out. Let eggplant be your pasta and enjoy all the lovely flavours without the ballon like bloating!
(And if you are worried about having enough carbs for your morning run, add more carrots or add in some chopped up broccoli in the sauce, yes they are carbs and the best kind of carbs.)
The other alteration is no added sugar and very little salt. But how on earth do you flavour it?
And my response is vegies vegies vegies!
Always start every meal with lots of veggies!
This recipe can also make a wonderful side dish if you leave the meat out to make it less heavy, or I guess if you don’t eat meat.
– 2 carrots
– 2 onions
– Stalk of celery
– 1 leek
– 1 red capsicum
– 1 green capsicum
– Two cloves of garlic
– Organic tomato sauce
– 500g of grounded extra lean beef
– 500g of grounded extra lean pork
– 3 large Eggplants
– 500g of ricotta cheese
– 150g of spinach (optional)
– 2 eggs
– Parmesan cheese (optional)
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the veggies (carrot, onions, celery, leek, garlic and capsicums) finely or chunky how ever you like them and add them into your home made tomato sauce (or just store bought organic tomato sauce but note that if you are using store bought it may need some umph, add basil leaves and oregano to help.)
2. With a moderate amount of olive oil add meat into a pot and once it is lightly brown add sauce with veggies. Let that cook for 20 minutes.
1. Slice eggplant sideways and leave skin on.
2. Grill eggplant slices.
1. Chop spinach finely.
2. In a bowl add ricotta cheese, eggs, and chopped spinach.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste
Just like your normal lasagne, but begin with layer of eggplant, red sauce, then white sauce, and continue in that order, but always finish with white sauce, then add parmesan cheese on top and put in oven until the parmesan is brown and crispy. And enjoy!